What is a router?
A router is a computing device ,which forwards the data packets in the computer network. Router acts like traffic signal in the real world, which controls the movement of the data from one point to another point. There are different types of router are present ,in this post I discuss how to netgear router setup .
The data movement and working of router is a detailed topic ,I will cover in future post.
Netgear router setup
In the market , variety of routers are available for installation, the type depends on the requirements of the network traffic. In this post I will discuss one of the most popular router known as Netgear router , it’s installation and working principles.
Netgear is the first company ,which introduces the wireless router to the world, it is a America based company ,which aims for manufacturing of the router for both home and industry requirements. It has different types wired and wireless products ,which are discussed in the following sections.
Netgear router setup and how to netgear router login
we can install the router either through web interface or Nighthawk app . I discuss both the procedure ,first we will discuss the web interface procedure.
- Using an Ethernet cable, connect the modem to the yellow Internet port on the back of your NETGEAR router product.
- Connect the computer or laptop to one of the Ethernet ports on router.
- Press the Power button on the router.
The LEDs on the router will glow.
- How to Netgear router login: Open a web browser in the computer and enter routerlogin.net.
You are prompted to log in.
- Log in to the router page .
The default (In built)user name is admin. The default password is password.
The user name and password both are case-sensitive.
- Click ADVANCED > Setup wizard.
- Select the Yes radio button and click Next.
The router will detects your Internet connection.
You will be prompted to log in.
- Enter and confirm a new admin password with high security character combination.
- Select and answer two security questions.
- Click Next.
The Congratulations! page displays.
- Click Next.
The Firmware Update Assistant page will be displayed.
- If a firmware update is not available, click OK.
Now , Your router is set up properly for working.
- If a firmware update is available, click Yes to update your firmware(Software).
The firmware updates.
The router will reboots.
You are prompted to log in.
- Enter admin username and the new password created earlier.
The BASIC page displays.
Your router is set up.
The is the very simple procedure to configure the router using web interface. It just takes hardly less than 5 minutes ,if every thing is right.
Netgear Setup using the APP
The Netgear router can be installed throgh the app known as Nighthawk. The stwp by step procedure to install router is given below: The Nighthawk is one of the easiest way to setup Netgear router , in adition to this , it also provides the features like
- view the devices on the network,
- run the speed test
- manage the wifi settings.
Not all products of the Netgear supports the App version ,we need to test before using the app based installation , to know this click here .
- Download the Nighthawk app.
- Attach the provided antennas and connect the modem to the Internet port on the router.
- Switch on the router.
- Wait for the WiFi LED light to glow.
- Have a Look on the router label for your router’s WiFi network name (SSID) and network key (password).
The label is on the back or bottom of the router.
- On yours iOS or Android mobile device, tap Settings > Wi-Fi.
- Connect your mobile device to the network that is listed on the router’s label and enter the password.
- Launch the NETGEAR Nighthawk app on your mobile device
- Follow the instructions in the Nighthawk app to install the Netgear router and connect to the Internet.
Note: If you have trouble connecting the mobile device to router’s network, try power cycling your router. After power cycling your router, repeat Steps 4-8.
I will conclude this post by giving the procedure for Netgear router set up and log in procedure with web interface and I will update same using the mobile application.